The research activity of the group is focused on the study of molecular recognition in complex system based on protein-protein, protein-peptide, oligonucleotides-protein interaction. The research activity rely on the study on new molecular mechanism regulating molecular systems with different complexity, to design new selective molecules for the early diagnosis and therapy of high social impact diseases.
Another research activity is based on the study of delivery of bio conjugate system to identify possible new strategy for the formulation of active pharmaceutical compounds.
In particular, the research activity is focused on : 1) the development of synthetic systems able to be recognized by biological targets, 2) development of PNA, peptide-PNA chimeras, DNA/PNA, PNA/RNA, and oligonucleotides for diagnostic and therapeutic applications; 3) the development of bio conjugates for drug delivery and diagnostics; 4) design, synthesis and characterization of new chiral PNA analogues. Most important achievements of the group are: a) the development of new molecules to selectively inhibit the interaction of specific factors involved in tumor angiogenesis and expression of integrin receptors (avb3, avb5 etc), for diagnostic and therapeutic applications; b) synthesis, characterization, in vitro studies of PNA-based molecules for the targeting of oncomir involved in colon rectal cancer CRC and tumor suppressor miRNA (miR-34a); c) the development of peptide based systems able to interact with receptor 2 of human epidermal growth factor (HER2), involved in different tumor forms.
Head of the Drug Design Group:
Dr. MICHELE SAVIANO
Michele Saviano CNR-IC Bari
Dritan Siliqi – CNR IC Bari
Maria Moccia CNR-IC Bari
Giuseppe Felice Mangiatordi – CNR-IC-Bari
Concetta Avitabile CNR-IBB Napoli
Annarita del Gatto CNR-IBB Napoli
Stefania De Luca CNR-IBB Napoli
Sonia di Gaetano CNR-IBB Napoli
Emma Langella CNR-IBB Napoli
Emilia Pedone CNR-IBB Napoli
Laura Zaccaro CNR-IBB Napoli
FACILITIES AND LABORATORIES:
GROUP RELATED RESEARCH PROJECTS:
GROUP RELATED PUBLICATIONS:
- C Avitabile, A Accardo, B Farina, I de Paola, L Russo, D Capasso, A Liguoro, A Del Gatto, M Saviano, PV Pedone, S Di Gaetano, G Malgieri, L Zaccaro, R Fattorusso. A Combined NMR and Computational Approach to Determine the RGDechi-hCit-αvβ3 Integrin Recognition Mode in Isolated Cell Membranes. 2015 Nov 9. doi: 10.1002/chem.201503126
- M Moccia, MFA Adamo, M Saviano Insight on chiral, backone modified peptide nucleic acids: properties and biological activity. Artif DNA PNA XNA. (2014) Dec 15;5(3):e1107176.
- B Farina, I de Paola, L Russo, D Capasso, A Liguoro, A Del Gatto, M Saviano, PV Pedone, S Di Gaetano, G Malgieri, L Zaccaro, R Fattorusso. A Combined NMR and Computational Approach to Determine the RGDechi-hCit-αv β3 Integrin Recognition Mode in Isolated Cell Membranes. Chemistry (2016) Jan 11;22(2):681-93.
- E Langella, E Calce, M Saviano, S De Luca Structural identification of an HER2 receptor model binding pocket to optimize lead compounds: a combined experimental and computational approach. Mol Biosyst. (2016) Jun 21;12(7):2159-67
- G Valente, N Depalo, I de Paola, RM Iacobazzi, N Denora, V Laquintana, RComparelli, E Altamura, T Latronico, M Altomare, E Fanizza, M Striccoli, A Agostiano, M Saviano, A Del Gatto, L Zaccaro, M L Curri Integrin-targeting with peptide-bioconjugated semiconductor-magnetic nanocrystalline heterostructures Nano Research (2016), 9 (3), 644-66